Autumn House Press is open to all styles of poetry and we suggest you familiarize yourself with previous Autumn House publications before submitting your work. We are committed not just to publishing the prominent voices of our age, but also to publishing first books and lesser-known authors who will become the important writers of their generation. We encourage writers from all backgrounds to submit; it is our goal at Autumn House to develop a rich and varied literary tradition.
The submission period opens October 1, 2021, and closes November 30, 2021 (Eastern Time). The judge for the 2022 Rising Writer Prize is Donika Kelly.
Guidelines for the Rising Writer Prize
- Must be the author’s first full-length poetry collection (previous publications of chapbooks and full-length books in other genres are fine)
- The winners will receive book publication, $1,000 honorarium, and a $500 travel/publicity grant to promote their book
- All finalists will be considered for publication
- Submissions should be approximately 50-80 pages
- The reading fee is $25 (We will waive the submission fee for those undergoing financial hardship or living with limited means. Please check out our FAQs page for more information)
- Do not include your name anywhere on the actual manuscript; if your name appears within the body of the text, please omit it or black it out
- You may include a brief bio in the “cover letter” section
- Do not include an acknowledgments page in the manuscript
- Feel free to include a table of contents
- Simultaneous submissions are permitted, but please let us know immediately if your book was accepted elsewhere
- Friends, family members, and former students of judges or Autumn House editors may not submit to the contest. Students do not include interactions at short-term residencies or fellowships
- Former employees of Autumn House, including interns, may not submit to the contest