The 2023 Rising Writer Prize is for a first full-length book of fiction. The submission period opens October 1, 2022, and closes November 30, 2022 (Eastern Time). The judge for the 2023 Rising Writer Prize is Matt Bell.
NB: The Rising Writer Prize alternates each year between fiction and poetry. The 2024 prize will be awarded to a first book of poetry.
Guidelines for the Rising Writer Prize
- Must be the author’s first full-length fiction collection (previous publications of chapbooks and full-length books in other genres are fine)
- Novels, novellas, and short story collections are eligible
- The winners will receive book publication, a $1,000 honorarium, and a $500 travel/publicity grant to promote their book
- All finalists will be considered for publication
- Submissions should be approximately 100 – 200 pages (45,000 – 90,000 words)
- The reading fee is $25 (We will waive the submission fee for those undergoing financial hardship or living with limited means. Before you reach out to request a waived fee, please read our full statement and instructions here. If the guidelines are not followed, we will not be able to offer a waived fee.)
- Do not include your name anywhere on the actual manuscript
- Do not include an acknowledgments page in the manuscript
- Feel free to include a table of contents
- Simultaneous submissions are permitted, but please let us know immediately if your book was accepted elsewhere
- Friends, family members, and former students of judges or Autumn House editors may not submit to the contest. Students do not include interactions at short-term residencies or fellowships
- Former employees of Autumn House, including interns, may not submit to the contest
Note: There is no longer an age restriction on this prize.